Friday, February 24, 2012

Were to live Raleigh NC, West Virginia, Pittsburgh PA or in the area and why?

I have been racking my brain comparing cities on where to move. I currently live in Erie PA the cost of living is great here rent on an average $550 for 2 bed but no jobs unless you want to work in retail or restaurant but it鈥檚 nice to have family and I can get almost anywhere in 20 min, my girl and I are ready for a change we are in our late 20鈥檚 early 30鈥檚.



I have family in Pittsburgh I don鈥檛 mind visiting but traffic sucks too many hills and I get an older like feeling when I go there now I do like the fact transportation is available to get around.



I have a hand full of friends that live in Raleigh and Charlotte beautiful places I am just concerned since cost of living is a bit higher with rent around $800.



I don鈥檛 know much about West Virginia area only been in VA and I hated the traffic! My GF wants to move there I am just not convinced to live there.



Taking into consideration the job market my GF is a case worker with a Psychology DEG I would like for her to find a job 1st since I have a few DEG where I could work mutable areas in Electronics Tech, Biomedical repair, Cabinet Woodworking and so on.



I am looking for nice weather, not too bad for traveling I would prefer to be in a mid size town with access to a bigger town if needed affordable home is a plus 150K to 250K and outside things to do in the summer like outside bands, fairs and caravels.



If anyone have info or suggestion for other cities I would be great.Were to live Raleigh NC, West Virginia, Pittsburgh PA or in the area and why?
I've live in or around all of these places, so here's my opinion.



West Virginia - It's a great place. But for a young person, the only place that I would recommend would be Morgantown. Morgantown is fantastic. Pittsburgh is a relatively short drive (1 hour?). DC, Philadelphia, Cleveland - all are within driving distance. Good place. With the university there it's awesome. Housing is affordable.



Pittsburgh - I love Pittsburgh. But I'm not delighted by the demographics there. It feels a little bit "old" to me. Housing is moderate.



Charlotte - Charlotte is great. It's in the south, but not too southern. More southern than Raleigh though. But Charlotte has a great nightlife. Charlotte is all about "young professionals." Housing is a little expensive.



Raleigh - It's a great, small southern city. A great place to raise a family. There is a saying "Raleigh - it's a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there." You can't really appreciate what a great place Raleigh is until you live there. NCSU is there, so there's a lot of young people. And lots of young families. Housing is a little expensive. Raleigh wasn't impacted by the housing bust as much as other places.



Looking at your criteria, I would pick either Raleigh or Charlotte, and I lean a little toward Raleigh. But Charlotte is great too.
We live south of Pittsburgh, PA - it's peachy for us!



Allegheny County - stinks with high taxes - try Washington County!



Live in Washington County and enjoy the low taxes and nightlife in Pittsburgh, PA!Were to live Raleigh NC, West Virginia, Pittsburgh PA or in the area and why?
Raleigh would be my pick. It is growing, it is a techie oriented city. Lots of transplants from other places live there, and your job prospects might be better there. Pittsburgh, is okay--seems like lots of old people. Speaking of old people, that's what you have in abundance in West Virginia. Few jobs, and most of the younger folks have left for other places.
Charlotte is my pick. It is the largest of the three and is the 17th largest city in America. Charlotte is very cosmopolitan, has a clean, happening center city, and has a low cost of living. Charlotte is home to the 7th busiest airport in the world, and has a great public transportation and subway system(Raleigh doesn't have any type of rapid transit system).



I found the people in Raleigh to be mean, and Raleigh seemed VERY hickish to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment