Friday, February 24, 2012

I think I have carpal tunnel? How do I stop it from getting worse?

I'm a 22 year old male living in pittsburgh, I cook in a popular restaurant, for a few weeks now I have been waking up in the middle of the night because my hand and fingers are numb and in pain, my fingers tingle and go numb throughout the day, only in my right hand. Should I be concerned? Does this happen to people my age? What do I do?I think I have carpal tunnel? How do I stop it from getting worse?
There are various causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Technically, CTS is a nerve-compression disorder, but it's symptoms are similar to those of blood-flow restriction and the overuse of specific muscles.



Long-duration typing on a regular keyboard with poor technique is a specific cause. Using the computer mouse, while resting one's wrist on the desk is another. Sometimes it has to do with driving technique. Doing so while pressing the wrist onto the steering wheel can have the same effect. One needs to be careful not to apply pressure to the small veins in the wrist, as it leads to numbness and loss of function... Your youthful age is not a causitive factor, but you may wish to be aware of repetitive motions that you make as you cook, especially if there's pressure applied to the wrist. Other treatments, aside from behavioral ones (or surgery) involve the use of braces or splints.
It probably doesn't help being on the computer typing =[I think I have carpal tunnel? How do I stop it from getting worse?
Avoid typing altogether. Seriously.
Try a wrist splint. You can get them at any drugstore. The wrist splint will immobilize your wrist. Wearing it at night should provide you with enough relief to get you through the night without pain. Carpal tunnel can be corrected surgically, but it will require several weeks to recover. Typing and repetitive movements worsen carpal tunnel. There are also exercises you can do (available by searching on the internet).
This should give your wrists some relief, relaxing the ligaments that attach your wrist:

For wrist:

Have your hand and fingers half closed. Take your other hand and press that thumb across the area they take your pulse on and press on it hard and hold. Relax, take a deep breath and exhale and don鈥檛 tense up any part of your body. After 30 seconds slowly open your hand all the way and then open your fingers all the way. Remove the pressure but hold your hand like that for one minute longer.
  • ruths chris
  • cracker barrel locations
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment