Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Currently live in the U.S. Thinking about relocating to Australia. Insight?

I currently live in a small town in Pennsylvania about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh. I will have my Bachelor's degree in communication from The University of Pittsburgh in June and am seriously considering moving to Australia. I am single and do not have kids so now is the best time to move if that's what I decide to do. I am obsessed with beach, I love hot, sunny weather, and like being surrounded by people of all races/ethnicities/backgrounds. I am a cultured, educated, amiable and motivated young woman. I make friends easily and yearn for more adventure and excitement in my life. I have been doing a lot of research and have heard extremes of both the good and the bad and everything in between. I have some questions and I would greatly appreciate some more insight please!





My biggest question is what exactly is the "points system" like to emigrate there? I am 23, healthy, educated, no criminal history; would I likely be able to get a visa? And how does the whole Visa process work?





I will have my Bachelor's degree, as I mentioned, and have about 4 years of work experience. What can I expect to make? Again, I am single and will not have any help with income (until I meet a wonderful Aussie man, of course ;) so I need to make sure I would be able to comfortably live! (I would consider a roommate, I suppose)





I am young and enjoy the nightlife, as well as culture. What city would have the best scene for other twenty-somethings? I.E, theaters, museums, comedy clubs, bars, restaurants, etc.





What are the crime rates like? Are the people of Australia more optimistic and imaginative than the general population of the U.S? Everyone is so cynical and jaded here!





One of, if not THE biggest concern I have, is from what I've heard about all the dangerous critters that reside on the continent. I keep hearing horror stories of giant, aggressive spiders, thousands of species of venomous snakes, sharks, etc. Is the wildlife there really as bad as people make it sound? I am not naive and I understand each country has it stereotypes, but is the premise of this ghost story based in enough truth? My biggest fear is of spiders, eek!





What is the cost of living there like? I have heard Sydney is very expensive, so I am leaning more towards Melbourne.





Speaking of cities, what would be the best city for me to live in? I plan on being there for 2 or 3 years (maybe longer if I fall in love with it!). I like busy cities (meaning there's a lot to do) with a laid-back feel (the hustle and bustle of an NYC type city might stress me out too much). I enjoy diversity and despise the uneducated, "red-neck" attitude.





Now I know a big stereotype with Europe is that they do not like Americans (b/c of the American stereotype?), but how do Aussies feel about Americans? No ill blood there right? I don't want to feel like the odd-woman out all the time! :P





Also, I know it changes a lot, but what is the current conversion rate?





That's all I can think of at the moment. But if you can think of any other pertinent info please let me know. I have travelled within the U.S. and to the caribbean before and I guess I just want to make sure that if I did make the move I'd enjoy it, and be financially and socially sound after I did. It's exciting thinking about it, but I want to make sure I don't have a naive, too high of hopes about the whole thing.





I guess I just need to know what lifestyle changes I would need to make; all the major differences and adjustments, you know?





Thank you for your input!!





~Sarah|||Apart from coming as the partner of an Australian, the only way to migrate to Australia is as a skilled migrant. For all skilled migration, you must have qualifications and experience in an occupation on our Skilled Occupations List (SOL) so that's the first place you should start to see if you have a chance of getting a visa. Here is the current SOL but a new, shorter one will be released later this month to take effect from 1 July:


http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121鈥?/a>





The following ASRI list includes job descriptions and details the required minimum qualifications for each occupation. It also includes details of how to obtain skills assessment which is a mandatory requirement for most visas:


http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/a-z.htm#a





There is no points test for employers sponsored visas but for any non-employer sponsored visa, you must achieve the required points test pass mark before your visa application will be considered. The pass mark for an independent visa is 120 points and for relative or state government sponsored visas, it is 100 (including 10 for the sponsorship itself so it's really only 90). The current points test allocates points based on your age, occupation, work experience and English ability but a new test using different criteria is expected to replace it in July - no details have yet been released. Here is the current points test - click on each link under Eligibility requirements for information on how points are allocated to each category:


http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-s鈥?/a>





Assuming you can get a work visa, with your qualifications you can expect to earn $50k+ and that will be enough to live comfortably if you don't spend too much on accommodation - sharing would be a good idea, at least at first until you're established.





For the type of lifestyle you enjoy, you would do well in any of our state capitals with the best being Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne - Adelaide is pretty small and Perth is very isolated over on the west coast. Brisbane is in the subtropics and has a better climate than the other two cities (spend a winter in Brisbane and you'll never leave); Sydney is an exciting and beautiful city, but accommodation is very expensive; Melbourne has the best mix of what you're looking for though the weather isn't as good as in the other two cities but it's still much warmer than anywhere in PA.





Australia has it's share of crime and criminals, but our cities are much safer than similar size US cities. We have very strict gun control - most people here have never even seen a gun much less been threatened by one and our ordinary crims don't carry them so if you disturb a burglar, you're most unlikely to be shot. Most people here will never come across violenc of any kind as long as they use normal commonsense about who they hang around with and where they go. People are very laid back and generally pretty cheerful and there's an air of optimism about the place that I haven't seen in the USA for several years.





Please don't worry about the supposed dangerous critters here. We certainly do have venomous spiders and snakes, but I've never even seen a nasty spider and most Australians have never seen a snake outside of a zoo. Our big spiders can be pretty big, but they're harmless and are at least as scared of you as you are of them. We have no more sharks than the USA - you hear about them here because we have such a huge coastline and such good weather that there are always people in the sea, but again, I've never seen a shark or had to leave the water because one was around. Crocodiles and dangerous jellyfish only occur in the far north which is over 1000km from Brisbane, the northernmost of the east coast capitals. We have no dangerous mammals - no bears, our only cats are the domestic kind, no wolves and importantly, no rabies. Don't mess with bats (they can carry some nasty diseases), but all you risk with any other kind of furry creature is a painful bite.





I've already addressed the city question, but check out this video of Melbourne - it's a marvellous city:


http://www.streetfilms.org/melbourne/





We have a few redneck types here but stay away from the lower socioeconomic areas of the outer suburbs and you'll probably never meet one.





The current conversion rate is getting close to parity with the AUD strengthening against the USD over the last few months. At present, the official exchange rate is about AUD$1.07 to USD$1.00 but you won't do as well as that - count on $ for $ and you won't go too far wrong.





Last but not least, why don't you get yourself a 12 month Work and Holiday visa and come down to see for yourself? You're definitely eligible (no points test or occupation requirements) and your W%26amp;HV allows you to work and travel here with the only restriction being that you can only work for each employer for up to 6 months. Stay in one place (a waste of a W%26amp;HV IMO) or backpack around our amazing country and get to know us. There's plenty of casual work around if you're flexible and a fantastic array of hostels and camping grounds to keep your accommodation costs to the minimum:


http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-鈥?/a>


http://www.bugaustralia.com/essentials/|||There ya go! haha sorry i cant really help as i live in america, but one day i wish to travel to australia. hopefully you will get some good answers! Good Luck with everything!!|||The points system is a way that we ensure that we have qualified mid level people coming over to Australia. We dont want new university graduates, or people without sufficient experience. If you completed your degree when you were 19 and then have 4 years experience in one of the areas that is listed on the CSL then you have a chance - but if that 4 years is working p/t I dont think it qualified. Also communication - unless it is as an telecommunications engineer (working telephone poles etc) there is no listing for this, and it is unlikely there will be. Australia is only allowing skilled people like midwives, plumbers, doctors, maths teachers etc to qualify for migration.





There is also a push, which has already happened with regards to the medical professions, to limit migrants to living and working in the bush/rural areas for a period before being permitted to move to a city. Doctors from the US are not given leave to work in a city for 10 years after they arrive- they have to live and work in the bush for that time.





EDIT: The retiree visa is only valid for 5 years with no guarentee or renewal. you have to have an income of over 60K per year for an indivual and 500K in assets. you have to have health insurance and be of good character. That is one of the good things about Australia - being an island, we are able to moniter who comes to live.|||im a 15 year old girl, i cant help you with the job side of it. but i live in sydney, its great and im a proud aussie. i dont have any problems with americans and i love your accents :) i dont think anyone does unless some personal background to them....


melbourne sounds best for you. cheaper, its got great night life and stuff to do! its not too busy and not to quiet. there are many spiders and critters, sharks etc. but you get used to avoiding them. like there are spider webs in my yard, dont walk into them. and i have to check my shoes for spiders if i leave them outside. and sharks arent too common in melbourne but there are several attacks round sydney. just dont go out far in the water! its all about common sense :) hope this helps|||I'll address your biggest concern;the dangerous critters,in my 40 years i've only seen 1 snake in my back garden (which i belted the living daylights out of with a golf club) and yes every year i get one or two spiders,which suck up nicely with a leaf blower on suction,a vaccuum cleaner would be just as good.Sharks i've never encountered.


You really need not worry,besides,they don't eat much.


Your education will serve you well if you are migrating,this link should help you.


http://www.immi.gov.au/


Just don't come in via the back door,apply through the proper channels and you'll be right mate :)|||Living in australia is the easoest country to live in, completely different to america, yes you can come here and get work visa and stay, welfare system is completely different to america, anyone is elegible at any time so long they dont work, payments are three times asmuch as what youd imagine in america would be, jobs are not rare, housing is affordable and the lifestyle is something youd never turn your back on, i wish the one person i adore would come live in australia with me|||Sounds like you would love Melbourne. It's very cosmopolitan and is the entertainment and sport capital of the country. I'm from Brisbane which is a little more laid back and quiet- but with the most beautiful beaches in world an hour either side of the city.





To be honest it will be extremely difficult to get a visa for Australia. We have masses of graduates coming out of our own universities that can't get jobs in the field of communication. (My boyfriend is one of them). I suggest going through a Migration Agent to assist you with your visa. The MARA website is by far the best place to start your research into the big move. Choose one that is based in the city you choose.





I know a lot of Americans as I'm currently living abroad and working with an American company. Regarding cultural differences there are some, but generally it's not anything to worry to much about. I have a lot of American and Canadian friends that I will keep for life, and openly welcome them to my country :) Some Australians don't like Americans due to people living up to the American stereotype, but as you explain you're open to new things, aren't racist and seem keen to explore other parts of the world I'm sure you'll be fine. Australians are a proud people and we love to share our country with people who appreciate it. But as the saying goes 'love it or leave it' :)





The current exchange rate is $1 AUD = 93c US. It jumps around a little but not too much. All the capital cities are expensive to live in, it just depends on your life style.





I have always lived on a large block of land surrounded by trees and am used to spiders etc, however it is rare to get them in the house. you might see one or two a year, be weary of where they like to live and you'll be fine. I can guarantee they are more scared of you then you are of them and will run away. As for sharks, unless you swim out past the breaks you won't have an issue. Always swim at a patrolled beach where the life savers are there to patrol the waters for things like this. I don't think creepy crawlies or sharks should factor into your decision to move or not. In the U.S you have tornadoes and bears lol!





Hope that helps.|||FIRSTLY I'LL address your question re our nasty critters by pasting an answer I gave to another person asking , AFTER that I'll address your other points ( in other words it's going to be a long post ~~ sorry)





CRITTERS :


in the USA you have the following animals...





Mountain Lions


Bears


Coyotes


Rattle Snakes


Corn Snakes


Alligators


Bob-cats


Wolves ....





I'd consider those animals pretty dangerous ( hoping I got it right with the corn snake.. could be the one that LOOKS like the corn snake)... and more of those are likely to eat you.





Yes we have some of the world's most poisonous critters...but in most cases we our hospitals have quick access to anti-venom...


Sharks aren't an issue for me because I don't swim in the sea.. and they are not likely to come onto the land and get me...


Crocodiles .. well aren't they a bit like alligators .. so it's not like you aren't aware of what can happen in the US....





I think I'd rather take my chances with the animals we have in AU .. than those you have in the US .... and YOU also have RABIES.. we DON'T have rabies here...








AND THE REST...





Well from what you have written... I think Melbourne would be better for you than Sydney... it's busy but has an absolutely great atmosphere, quite laid back but has everything you seem to want,


IT is though NOT that much cheaper than Sydney....





We have our share of violence... seems to be a trend at the moment.. but look .. in australia wide last year .. we had LESS than 300 murders ( in fact I think it was only just above 200).


I have never been a victim of violence myself





Aussies and Americans.. well .. so long as you don't come here and start up boasting how much better the USA is ( I don't think you would from how you write) ... YOU WILL BE FINE.. Aussies love to pull americans legs... and we can give such a straight face while spinning you a tale...that you WILL fall for some of the stories you're told.. lol.





We need teachers and nurses here.. ( and a few other things) if you are qualified in those areas.. because you're young .. it SHOULDN'T be that hard for you.





Here are some links that you might find helpful :





http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-鈥?/a>





http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/





http://www.study.vic.gov.au/OthrIntPro/I鈥?/a> %26lt;-- this one has people who you can email and actually ask them if you can be employed as a teacher... and what is involved.





http://www.plexusrecruitment.com/





ok I hope all those links help.. GOOD LUCK ..

No comments:

Post a Comment