Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can my boss really do this to me?

I work at a fast food restaurant in Pittsburgh PA. Apparently $170 has gone missing from out cash register. There were 3 people working plus me. I do work there but this night I wasn't on the clock. However I closed down the register for my fellow co workers which I'm trained to do so that we could all leave. I didn't steal this money. And my boss watched all of the video footage and he has no proof of anyone taking it. As far as I know no one took the money and he can't see anyone in the tape taking it. He has threatened me and 3 the others to come up with out portion of the $170 or else we're fired. One of the girl's said she wasn't going to pay it and he fired her on the spot. I'm contemplating paying it to keep my job but isn't it illegal for him to extort this money from me and my co workers when he has no proof that I or any one of them took it? Who can I report this to?Can my boss really do this to me?
what a douche...hes not allowed to do that....take it to the authorities, i dunno....but don't be a sucker and pay it....it's a fast food restaurant, it's not an important job...find something else worst case!!
Go to the Department of Labor. I'm sure, they have someone who can take-in your problem. Otherwise, inform the guy higher than your boss and tell him what happened. This is purely harassment or blackmail. But take care, get a camera or cellphone with a camera to video your conversation with that guy. He can always deny the incindent and turn the table against you. Otherwise, stand near the video of the restaurant to record your conversation while denying your supposed guilt. Show it to the guy higher than your boss.Can my boss really do this to me?
Try contacting the main office to complain if you work for a national chain. Go over your manager's head. go to the owner if you are indeed innocent.
hell maybe he your boss took it,.....don't pay it, talk to your bosses boss,.....
Start with the better business bureau. From there, they can steer you in the right direction. Something tells me you aren't making that much an hour doing that job. Maybe it's time to move on. This guy is a cheap skate and makes his living off your sweat and blood. Screw him, get another job.
Why do you work in fast food? Did you drop out of fifth grade? The service sector is not a career. Unless you are working to make spending money and get work experience while in high school, there's no excuse for an adult American to be working at such a low level. Get out and get an education so that you can have a grown up life.
he can fire you but it sounds like he is threatening all of you to try and scare you into paying back the money because its obvious some one took the money you don't miss manage a cash drawer by $170.00
You are not under contract to work at a fast food restaurant and your employment is "At Will" meaning you can leave with out warning or reason and you boss can fire you with out warning or reason. Now, your boss can't fire you because of personal or religious beliefs or anything like that but beyond discrimination he can fire you for what ever reason he wants or not even give you a reason if he feels like it. What he can't do, and you should fight it if he does, is take any money from you. He can fire you for the money being missing but he can't take that money out of your check no matter if you leave or stay, unless you say it is ok. The only way he could force you to do this is if he made you sign a document before you started that said you were responsible for any money loss and he can only have done that if you are 18, if you are under 18 your parents would have to sign it. If he thinks you took the money, and he wants you to pay it back, he would have to call the police and let them investigate it and possibly take you to court over it. But he can take any money from you, but can fire you for refusing to pay. It sucks, but since you have the right to leave for any reason he has the right to fire you for any reason. He can even firs you just for touching the money while not being on the clock because Federal Law says he has to pay you for every second you work and you were working with out being on the clock which means you were not paid for it. He did not force you to do this so you took full responsibility. If he does take money out of you check you would have to get a lawyer and take him to court over it. Your lawyer would subpoena all the other people there that night and seize the security tapes as evidence and if there is no proof you stole the money the court would make him give you the money back but all that can be very expensive and really not worth it to get a few bucks back.

No comments:

Post a Comment